UK fossil fuels receive billions in subsidies while support for renewables is slashed - 5th August
The UK Government is providing fossil fuels with billions of pounds in subsidies every year whilst cutting support for renewable energy, IMF research shows.
As detailed in a press release from RenewableUK, the survey by the International Monetary Fund 'How Large Are Global Energy Subsidies?' shows the UK fossil fuel sector is receiving over £26 billion this year. This equates to more than £400 per person living in the UK.
In contrast, the cost of supporting all renewable energy technologies in 2014/2015 is £3.5 billion according to DECC figures.
Read more here
- Due to high temperatures in the Polar Regions Arctic Ice has fallen - 23rd March
- CWL confirm Memorandum of Understanding with Kelloholm Primary School - 21st March
- Liberia Hydropower back up and running - 15th March
- Madrid to ban old motor vehicles - 14th March
- Scottish growers Berry exited by new technology - 10th March
- Dalry Parish Boundary Trust donates £542 to Dalry Camera Club
- See our news archive