Renewables raise challenge to coal in generating the world's electricity - 19th August
Wind, solar and other renewable energy sources are now second only to coal in generating the world's electricity. The International Energy Agency (IEA) has announced that electricity generation from renewable sources has now overtaken natural gas to become the second largest source of electricity worldwide.
Wind and solar power are the main renewables used to generate electricity in Europe, with wind power increasing at an average growth rate of 27.1% since 1990. Globally, more renewable energy is consumed in the residential, commercial and public services sectors than elsewhere.
Read more here
- Due to high temperatures in the Polar Regions Arctic Ice has fallen - 23rd March
- CWL confirm Memorandum of Understanding with Kelloholm Primary School - 21st March
- Liberia Hydropower back up and running - 15th March
- Madrid to ban old motor vehicles - 14th March
- Scottish growers Berry exited by new technology - 10th March
- Dalry Parish Boundary Trust donates £542 to Dalry Camera Club
- See our news archive