More than 43,500 Scottish jobs supported by the green energy sector - 2nd December
Research shows the contribution of the renewable energy and low carbon sector on the Scottish economy.
Figures from the Office for National Statistics have found that the green energy sector supports over 43,500 jobs across Scotland.
Furthermore, 13% of total UK turnover in the sector is from Scottish companies, generating £10.7 billion. Of this, supply chain activity accounted for £5.1 billion (47.7% of total turnover) and 21,500 jobs.
Paul Wheelhouse, Energy Minister said: "the figures reinforce the growing importance of the low carbon industries to the Scottish economy and vindicate the Scottish Government's support for the sector and the increasingly crucial role it plays within Scotland's energy mix and the wider economy".
Lang Banks, WWF Scotland Director added: "These figures underline the importance of low-carbon businesses to Scotland in helping our economy grow and creating new jobs".
Read more HERE
- Conservative windfarm policy endangers cheap energy in UK. - 25th April
- 135 years on and the UK experiences its first day without coal power: 24th April
- Electric vehicle surge could disrupt UK energy network, finds report from Green Alliance: 21st April
- CWL proud to continue partnership with Ayrshire College - 19th April
- The cost effectiveness of onshore wind - 13th April
- Government given deadline on climate change publication - 12th April
- See our news archive